Today, November 19th, is World Toilet Day! As the organizers of this special holiday proclaim, we can’t wait to improve sanitation.
We are honored that rice research is popping up in various places today as organizations explain just why World Toilet Day is such a special day:
- A blog post by Victoria Fan of the Center for Global Development: How a Toilet Makes Everyone Taller
- A press release by the World Bank, highlighting rice research about the fact that, by improving early-life health while little children’s brains are developing, improving sanitation helps children learn more: Improved Use of Toilets Boosts Childhood Test Scores, Decreases Stunting
- Several new articles (not all for World Toilet Day) in Down to Earth, an important Indian environmental magazine:
- Sanitation, a missing link?
- WHO’s to blame? (this discusses our research on women’s status and child height)
- Open defecation linked to stunting in Indian children